Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 20, 2011

OpenWHAT???


I have to admit, when I first read through the assignments for the first couple weeks of class, I was SO confused! I was seriously wondering what the heck RSS and OpenSource even meant! I had NEVER heard either of these terms before. After chatting with my husband, he reassured me that I had heard of the terms before, and that it wouldn’t be too difficult to decipher how they could be utilized. So, by now I think I have figured things out, and am happy to say I have learned not one, but two new things; all in the first week of class!

After talking to my husband (as I previously stated) and many of my yearbook students (sometimes they know more about technology than I do) I noticed that many people were saying, “That’s when you get the source code and can use the program for free.” I, not knowing much about the subject, believed that they knew what they were talking about. That is, until I took the time to do some research on the subject. I came to find that OpenSource doesn’t just offer access to the source code, but, the distribution terms must comply with certain criteria. The terms for OpenSource are as follows:

·         Free redistribution
·         Program must include a source code
·         Derived works – modifications allowed
·         Integrity of the authors source code
·         No discrimination against persons or groups
·         No discrimination against fields of endeavor
·         Distribution of license
·         License must not be specific to a product
·         License must not restrict other software
·         License must be technology-neutral

In my own words, OpenSource seems to be an application that can be modified by the user. If I knew more about codes and such, I feel that this could be a very beneficial tool. However, since I am not a “code wiz” I am not sure how I could utilize OpenSource in my particular environment. I prefer free apps or proprietary apps, over an OpenSource app that I may need to modify (which I wouldn’t know how to do). I find that the main difference between OpenSource apps and the kind I use (free and proprietary) is that the OpenSource apps can be fine-tuned to fit the users needs, and the others are not a modifiable. Since OpenSource apps are generally licensed under the GPL (GNU General Public License) this makes it available and accessible to all users.

In my classroom we use both free and proprietary apps. Some of the most common free apps we use are Google Docs and Google Talk. Both of these free apps come in handy, as they can be obtained from any computer with an internet connection. The Google Docs app has decreased the number of excuses such as, “I couldn’t access my saved work from home,” or “I must have not saved it correctly,” which I commonly heard from students. Google Docs is a web based word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, form, and data storage service that is easy to use for all ages. I strongly feel that Google Docs has helped students to manage their time better, and has given them a chance to complete their assignments from many locations. Google Talk, an instant messaging service, has been wonderful when my students and I (usually my yearbook students near deadline days) use to communicate. Even when we are both in the comforts of our own home, we can keep in touch on a regular basis.

One of the primary proprietary apps I use in my classroom is Photoshop. My students use this to enhance the photos and design we create for the school yearbook. I always do training on this program, and fortunately, this is one of the apps that the school district pays for, as it is quite expensive.  The software allows my students to manipulate, crop, resize, and correct color on digital photos we place in the yearbook. Since we have obtained this program, the photos in our book have dramatically improved.

Overall, I believe that OpenSource is a GREAT program to have available to people. However, I, having so much on my plate as it is, feel that it is a bit too much for me. I know how short I am on time as it is, and to have to possibly modify programs to make them fit my needs, sounds like just one more step I would have to complete to finish the task at hand. Thank goodness for the free and proprietary apps I have learned over the past few years, they have made life so much easier!


Works Cited:

12 comments:

  1. Isn't Google Docs great. I haven't used it as much lately as I did when we first used it in Dr. Jurkowski's class. What types of lessons have you used it for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a photographer, I use Photoshop quite a bit, but lately I am using LightRoom more. The only time I use PS is for a page layout or if an image needs layers, if it is just correcting the image, LightRoom is more efficient and saves lots of time and is less expensive than PS. So if you haven't tried it, I would encourage you to check it out. Also Photoshop.com is a wonderful site for sharing images and gives you online editing capabilities. It might also be an option for sharing images with students when you are not at school.

    Animoto.com is an excellent slideshow software that is a wonderful resource for sharing online yearbooks and you can sign up for a free education account. Just thought I would share those with you and say that I really admire high school teachers and how much work is involved with extra curricular activities like yearbook and how important they are for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie I am so with you on this one...first "what the heck?" and then "oh, yeah!" ha ha But I do agree with you, I don't have a clue about code. I have used Google Docs more than Open Office, etc and in my daughter's school they are starting to use Google Docs for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda,

    Animoto sounds interesting. I am going to check that out. I teach the child development preschool class and we have so many pictures and memories from the class. We have been struggling to find a way to best preserve and display these treasures.

    Jamie,

    Google Docs has helped the educational process. It has helped the students and the teachers with a more reliable flow of information. Back in the flash drive age, wew, glad that's over. Students drives would crash, or my favorite, students would bring a virus from home and it would get spread like an STD around the school computers and taken home to students home computers.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie,

    Like you, I was confused about RSS and Open Source at first. They were terms that I had heard before, but never took the time to really understand. We have learned so much already, and it's only the second week of class. Google Docs is such a wonderful tool. I haven't used it much with my students, but have really enjoyed it for my college classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see I was not the only lost in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I am glad that we all can agree that many new terms were thrown at us the first week. But, again, we have managed to learn from the expereinces of exploring these things.

    Animoto.com is awesome! Yes, I have used that one as an option for student projects in my class. I had one student create a wonderful video over "Mass Hysteria" (we were studing The Crucible) and now is is on our library website as an example.

    As far as Google Docs, I have used this to do group projects and, of course, it is a great option for individual work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally new stuff for me too! I like how you said you have no clue how you would use Open Source since you don't write code. Same goes here. Now I understand what they are, but have no idea how I would modify them. Some I found were Gimp.org and it said it was like Photoshop. Maybe you should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jamie,
    You seem to have the same funny quick wit and informational humor! I really love using all of the Apps that are available with Google. My classroom website is a Google site. I guess this is a type of Open Source because I can change the information to fit my needs. I also used Google reader, docs, and blogger (obviously. My colleagues and I use Google docs to collaborate on our lesson plans and yearly GLE alignments. Great information!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think a lot of the reason most people prefer proprietary software and don't know much about OpenSource, to the point where we use it without even realizing is because of the reason you stated: "If I knew more about codes and such, I feel that this could be a very beneficial tool. However, since I am not a “code wiz” I am not sure how I could utilize OpenSource in my particular environment."

    I know I, for one, am pretty confident about learning how to use software, even without a manual, but if you ask me to do any of the tech stuff on my computer, like mess with the firewall or update drivers, I am totally lost.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great title :)
    Nice explanation and examples. Now, do note this: You don't need to know how to code to use an open source application.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you found great programs for your students. I like your honesty. I think it is also wonderful that your husband tells you that you know this stuff. It is always nice to have a good support system.

    ReplyDelete