Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Bookmarking to the Extreme

I have only heard of Delicious thorough my husband’s experience. He had been a Delicious user for nearly two years.  When I registered this past week, I could see why people like it. You no longer lose bookmarks and you can take them from computer to computer.  I love that I can share my bookmarks with others and tag them accordingly. Then, I went to Diigo and registered for an account. One of the first things I noticed was that it asked me if I wanted to export my files from Delicious. So, to me, this was a step up from Delicious. I exported some of my newly created Delicious bookmarks to Diigo.

It isn’t that I have any problems with Delicious at all; it’s just that Diigo is more versatile.  Using the Diigo toolbar, I can annotate Web pages that I visit. This was awesome for me since I am a high school English teacher, and the skill of annotating literature is something I really try to teach my students before college. Users of Diigo can mark up the site like they mark up other reading they do.  Annotation allows one to comment on what I see, interact with other commenters, or simply take notes.  The toolbar also allows me to automatically save and/or e-mail links. This is something I am thinking of integrating into some of classes for the next school year.

Delicious allows for the same type of sharing, but it lacks the annotation component.  I am also able to easily share bookmarks with groups, which I have begun doing. A friend of mine who uses Diigo mentioned that there are groups one can join; some she recommended to me were -Diigo in Education, English Teachers, and Interactive Whiteboards in the Classroom groups. You can even create groups for students (much like a group on Facebook). You will have to decide whether Diigo or Delicious is better for you.  I have found that there are nothing but positive things to say about either social bookmarking system, it just takes some time to explore and get acquainted with the program, something most people that ‘bookmark’ don’t take the time to do. I am telling you, just take the time and all of your favorite sites, annotations, and extras, will be in one place waiting for you to use!

9 comments:

  1. The first thing I noticed about Diigo too was the ability to export from Delicious. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I haven't explored these two bookmarking sites in great detail, I think that Diigo seems a little easier to me. Thanks for sharing some great information about annotation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was also my first thought when I saw you could merge your accounts from Delicious! I thought Diigo for sure had to better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed the merging your bookmarks also. I liked that a lot. Also how is the toolbar? I could not get it to install with my firefox 4.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I am really going to enjoy using Diigo. I think that it is a cleaner website with easy to follow directions. It was also very easy to set up and use. I LOVE the fact that you join groups. I didn't know that. I will ahve to go back and look at some of those groups. Thanks for sharing the information!
    AG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the links. I shared the English one with one of our English teachers and bookmarked the other two myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Diigo too. It is very easy to follow and use. I loved groups too! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the information about good groups to join. I also like the fact that you had instant classroom applications for the bookmarking sites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review!! So glad you will be able to use this personally and in your classroom!! The annotation feature is great and so useful for different subjects and research in general.

    ReplyDelete